Free DB options under python

Cees de Groot cg at gaia.cdg.acriter.nl
Tue Aug 8 12:41:35 EDT 2000

Aahz Maruch <aahz at netcom.com> said:
>Incidentally, as someone who has found bugs with SQL Server 7.0 and its
>transactional system, as well as being a former Paradox tech support
>person, I'm a big fan of sizing the DB to the problem.

[as a former ODBC driver developer, I've found bugs in every database
system under the sun ;-)]. Sizing the DB has one little problem: often
your software starts out small and then grows big. There are websites
that are heavily hit by mySQL's performance issues (tablelocking,
stuff like that) when they grow big. Being flexible here is possible,
but requires quite a bit of knowledge about database interfaces and the
differences between the various engines. Given these circumstances, I
always opt for the "highest-end feasible solution", so that you can
grow without having to change your database system. In the realm of
open source databases, that seems to be PostgreSQL (which isn't /that/
hard to install or maintain, just a matter of RTFM).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Forge your CipherSaber and list it: http://www.xs4all.nl/~cg/ciphersaber/