.doc viewer/reader

Pat McCann thisis at bboogguusss.org
Sat Aug 26 18:47:33 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com> writes:

> "Pat McCann" <thisis at bboogguusss.org> wrote in message
>
> http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=berlin-design&m=93118897023514&w=2
> > has an interesting twist on that.  Whether the GPL is required to be
snip
> > spread or not, using the GPL will infect other components anyway because
> > many developers are ignorant and easily fooled.
>
> This thesis is more debatable (and RMS does not state the reasons
> you *infer* for the consequences he hypothesizes: take care, when
> indirectly quoting somebody, about putting your words in their
> mouths...).  I think people, by and large, try to behave in ways they
> think will be beneficial to them -- and if they're so easily fooled, and
> so often wrong, as some purport to think, how did humanity manage
> to do all we've done over the centuries and millennia...?-)

We got lawyers. RMS & the FSF have. Free software developers seldom do.

BTW, I DID take care in my paraphrase of the key portion of that post.
I included the URL of the post so the quality of my inference could be
checked.  I wonder how people could infer anything else; maybe if the
implication was too sneaky for them.

Maybe I should have also paraphrased the quote which you snipped to
"The ends justifies the means." in case someone didn't infer THAT.