why isn't python more popular?

Jordan Katz katz at underlevel.net
Sat Aug 12 16:37:28 EDT 2000

sp00fd <sp00fdNOspSPAM at yahoo.com.invalid> writes:

> I'm curious, it seems to me that _A LOT_ of people recognize
> python as a well done, practical language.  I occassionally
> browse the scheme or perl or java newsgroups (etc..) and I often
> see python mentioned as being a great language, so why don't I
> see more companies using python.  While I realize that some do
> (i.e. Industrial Light and Magic, etc), it's not nearly to the
> point that perl is used.  Heck, even Tchrist has good(great?)
> things to say about python.
>
> Is it that white space counts?  That's really the only gripe
> that I see.

A lot of big companies/sites use Python --  probably more than you
think.  One example that comes to mind is Yahoo's mapper
<http://maps.yahoo.com/>, which is written in Python.

In comparison to other languages, more notably Perl, Python might not
be as popular because:

  1.  Other languages have been around longer.
  2.  More ready-to-use programs and modules have been written for
      them, as a result of #1.
--
Jordan Katz <katz at underlevel.net>