Looking for Python programmers--where to search?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at vex.net
Sat Aug 26 11:25:41 EDT 2000

Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
> A real C++ programmer, as opposed to a C one, would not have had a problem
> in your example, since in C++, as opposed to C, you *can* work with
> sequences

In my experience a lot of "C++ programmers" are C coders who use "//"
instead of "/* ... */" for comments.  They also seem to think that
Hungarian Notation is part of the language.

> and mappings without writing much extra code.  The standard C++ library
> promotes the 'generic programming' paradigm, which has very close parallels
> with Python's ways.  Sure, lots of so-called C++ programmers aren't -- they
> have never bothered exploiting the standard language features; those will
> take
> a bit more time to get up to speed in Python.

And they probably aren't really programmers either.  An earlier poster
made the point I think.  Ignore languages and concentrate on their
skills in problem solving, interpreting requirements and designing
solutions.  If you get the right guy he will pick up Python the night
after the first interview just because he wants to find out about this
cool new language that you and your company are excited about.

OK, maybe a few nights.  Don't be concerned if he's a little bleary
eyed on his first day.  :-)

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at vex.net>           |  Democracy is three wolves
http://www.vex.net/                        |  and a sheep voting on