wxPython building woes

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Tue Aug 8 15:50:05 EDT 2000

"Vadim Zeitlin" <zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote in message
news:slrn8p0gur.lor.zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr...
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:44:46 +0200, Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
> >The build.py produces a Makefile that wants to build a dummy.obj
> >(from the .env file it sucks in from the wxWindows directories) -- I
> >do not understand the purpose of that obj, but it just can't be built
> >anyway (no sources for it in the directory I'm working in, per the
> >above-referenced instructions).
>
>  Hello,
>
>  dummy.obj (or dummydll.obj) is created during wxWindowx build normally.
It's
> purpose is to create the precompiled header file (pch) which is used by
> everything else, but this is not the point: the question is why wasn't it
> created. What compiler are you using? With VC++ it surely is...

VC++6, SP4.

A dummy.obj was indeed created (under wx2\src\msw\ReleaseDLL) as part
of the very-smooth-and successful build of wxWindows (which I performed
using the Visual Studio IDE and the supplied .dsw's).

But build-generated Makefile seems to be looking for it under
wx2\src\msw\DebugDLL instead.  So that is no doubt the problem: it
thinks I want/have a debug-build while what I want (for wxPython)
and have done (for wxWindows) is a release-build instead.

Where is this set...?  Not in build.cfg, apparently (can I
override it from there, or build.local? how?).  I grepped
for it throughout the tree, and can only find it in .OBJ files,
.DSP files, and vc6dll.t -- but that's just the template that
generates the .DSP etc, isn't it?

>  BTW, why do you want to build wxPython yourself? For Win32 you could just
use
> the binaries.

The binaries were apparently built for Python 1.5.  I'm trying to
install 1.6b1 -- the core went as smoothly as ever one could dream,
so I need/want to try out the various extensions, and wxPython is
among my favourites.

Alex