Newbie Q: Pythin scripting

ben at co.and.co ben at co.and.co
Fri Aug 4 15:30:36 EDT 2000

Aahz Maruch <aahz at netcom.com> wrote:
> In article <8mefk3$pu2$1 at news1.skynet.be>,
> Dave Van den Eynde <dave at groovbird.com> wrote:
>>
>>Consider me a newbie, but I have the following problem. When I make a script
>>to run under bash, the first line that I make is :
>>
>>    #! /usr/bin/python
>
> Don't use a space:
>
> #!/usr/bin/python

Do use a space (from the autoconf manual):
'''
...........................Also, include a space after the
exclamation point in interpreter specifications, like this:
      #! /usr/bin/perl
    If you omit the space before the path, then 4.2BSD based
systems (such as Sequent DYNIX) will ignore the line, because
they interpret `#! /' as a 4-byte magic number.
'''

Anyway, to the original poster:

make sure your script is executable.

$ chmod u+x <name_of_script.py>