Advice - Learning Python as 1st Programming Language

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Tue Aug 8 03:59:47 EDT 2000

> - Would it be better from learning perspective than, say, Java or
> Javascript?

   Python is less ad-hoc than Javascript especially the object oriented
features. They are both quite easy to learn.

> - Is there any useful yet simple IDE available for Windows 98?]

   PythonWin or IDLE.

> - Any way to embed Python in web pages, like JavaScript? Or would he have
> learn 2 languages?

   The Win32 extensions enable you to use Python as a client side scripting
language with Internet Explorer but each client has to download and install
the extensions. I think there was an add-in for Netscape Navigator but
haven't heard much about it.

   Javascript is a much better choice for client side scripting as it is
available in most browsers on most operating systems.

> - Any good libraries for web CGI-like calls to Python (don't really care
at
> this point if it uses CGI-like mechanisms or something more efficient)?

   There are several. I only use cgi.py which is quite simple but has been
adequate so far.

> - Any good libraries for building things like page template (e.g. ASP,
JSP,
> ...)

   The Win32 extensions also work for server side ASP scripts. There are
others I haven't used.

> If you email to me, in addition to the group, would be great.

   Your email address appears horribly mangled - I don't think this will
reach you by email.

   Neil