GTK/Gnome or TKinker?

Dan Kuchler kuchler at ajubasolutions.com
Thu Aug 3 18:02:38 EDT 2000

Steve Lamb wrote:

>     I've decided to embark on a project that I want to be fairly portable
> across Unix and Windows.  It will use a GUI and I am having trouble deciding
> on which toolkit to use.  I've looked into GTK/GNome and the fact that there
> doesn't appear to be a fairly active port to Windows does exactly fill me with
> confidence in its continued support
>
>     OTOH is TKinker.  Now, from what I hear TKinker isn't as well developed as
> GTK/Gnome so while it appears to have a stable port to Windows taking up
> TKinker might mean overall difficulties.
>
>     Does anyone who has practical experience with these toolkits have any
> advice?

I am a tcl/tk programmer, not a python/tk programmer, but I am
familiar with
tk's development.

Tk has been around for a long time, and as a result is pretty bug free
(it comes
with ~6000 tests I believe, and has been used in a fair number of
commercial
applications).  The Tkinter releases seem to follow the Tk releases
pretty closely.
The next release of Tk (Tk 8.4) has several new widgets scheduled for
it, which
should be nice because widgets haven't been added to Tk itself for a
few releases.

There is a good set of features in the current toolkit, but 8.4 should
have some
really nice things in it.

It is actively developed and bugs (especially serious ones) are fixed
quickly.

It is also open source (with pretty easy to read source) so if
necessary you
can debug Tk if you find a problem in it.

I can't really speak about GTk/Gnome because I haven't written much
code in it.
Since it is fairly new, I have heard that some of the versions were
pretty buggy
and didn't have much documentation -- this all may be much better now,
I really
don't know.

For more information on Tk and its development you can go to
http://www.scriptics.com/

I hope this helps some..

--Dan