gratuitous new features in 2.0

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Fri Aug 25 16:00:31 EDT 2000

In article <8o6eca$420$1 at slb3.atl.mindspring.net>, aahz at netcom.com
(Aahz Maruch) wrote:

> In article <KTyp5.15878$Z2.190563 at nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
> Warren Postma <embed at NOSPAM.geocities.com> wrote:
> >"Rainer Deyke" <root at rainerdeyke.com> wrote in message
> >news:p%wp5.99116$6y5.68070091 at news2.rdc2.tx.home.com...
> >>
> >> I agree.  print should be deprecated, not extended.
> >
> >Bah.
> >
> >Print is useful for two things:
> >        1. debugging
> >        2. demonstrating python interactively.
> >
> >It is an obvious "wave of the cap" to the interactive fashion in which
> >many
> >of us 1970's era Microcomputer BASIC programming types cut their teeth
> >on
> >programming.   Sure it's not OOP'y, but the lack of "slavish adherence"
> >OOP is one of Python's strong points, not a weak point. ;-)
>
> Ooo.  Nicely put!
> --
>                       --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at pobox.com)

The good thing about the print statement changes is that no no one has
to use them.

I *suspect* that I won't make much use of print >> ..., but instead keep
on getting a file(-like) object and using its write().

Of course, I may change my mind before I start using Python 2 (we're
staying with 1.5.2 for quite a while...*maybe* 1.6).

  --John

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at scandaroon.com