Too many established connections

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Mar 26 09:37:48 CET 2008

Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> I'm running into a problem with python open ldap connections.
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you mean python-ldap connections or connections to an OpenLDAP server
from Python?

> It appears that they are not closing properly.

Can you check in the server's log whether unbind is processed?

> I'm doing a bind->call->unbind on every
> call.

Is that really necessary?

>  I am also using the ReconnectLdapObject to try to help with "can not
> connect" problems,

Well, using ReconnectLdapObject and doing bind-search-unbind all the time is
somewhat contradictory since ReconnectLdapObject is for keeping long-lasting
connections alive. But this should not be the problem.

> although I still get a significant number of can not
> connect problems that I handle with a retry.

Any network problems in between?

> The server died the first time we tried to put a significant load on it.

What server (vendor and version) is this? Which version of python-ldap and
which version OpenLDAP libs are used?