ZLDAPAdapter problems

Mauro Cicognini mcicogni at siosistemi.it
Mon Jul 29 17:08:07 CEST 2002

Jacob Behm wrote:

>>>I don't know that I'm using any OpenLDAP.  Would that be my problem?
>>>This Zope is running on a win32 machine.  The python LDAP module is
>>>v1.10a3.
>>>

>>Then your Win32 python-ldap binaries are using the old Umich LDAP
>>libraries which can only do LDAPv2. This is probably the reason
>>for your problems with MS AD.
>>
>>Also note that python-ldap 1.10a3 is pretty outdated and only
>>supports LDAPv2.
>>
>>Ciao, Michael.
>>

>Ah .. this is very helpful.  Does anyone know if there are updated binaries/libraries available for win32 systems?

Yes, there are: I have recently done a build of the newer stuff, which
does need testing. If you're interested, I may send it to you.

It's still python-ldap2.0.0pre04 and OpenLDAP 2.0.23 (with
cyrus-sasl-1.5.27) due to lack of time on my part to get up to the very
latest versions.

>I'm sure someone has tried to interface with Active Directory with LDAP before.  Has anyone been successful?  Is it even possible?

It does work, but it takes a lot of guessing of what the search roots
are... and after that, you may have to tweak code to interpret the
results correctly.
Not as much as Novell Directory Service, though. ;-)

BR,
Mauro