[Python-ideas] Make Python 2.7’s online docs optionally redirect to Python 3 online docs

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 7 18:47:18 EST 2019

On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 05:53:58PM -0500, Terry Reedy wrote:

[...]
> >I've found that the search engines are getting better at linking to the
> >more recent docs. For example, all of these:
> >give me Python 3 first and Python 2 second.

[...]
> I get /2/ before /3/

Sorry, I forgot to say "Your mileage may vary."

Google is well-known for tracking users (even if they aren't logged into
a google account at the time) and filtering their search results.

As far as I know, only DuckDuckGo promises that all users will see
unfiltered results, with everyone seeing the same results from identical
searches.

So it is quite likely that any other search engine may give different
results for identical search terms, according to who you are, whether
you are signed into a google account, the country you or your ISP is
based in, and the kinds of links you have followed in the past.

Not just clicked search links -- Google in particular has an extensive
web of tracking bugs throughout the WWW, so they can track you even when
you aren't logged in.

(Again, YMMV -- those taking active countermeasures may avoid some
tracking, and I understand that in the EU Google has legal restrictions
on what they collect and what they do with it.)

[...]
> /2/ followed by /3.1.5/.  No /3/ on first page, so no option to
> influence better placement of /3/.

You could click through to the second page of search results :-)

--
Steven