[Python-ideas] PEP 484 evolution

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 11:05:59 EDT 2016

On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 9:37:22 AM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 1:28 AM, Rick Johnson
> What, you mean the form that was released in Python 3.5 on
> Dec 6th 2015 after *extensive* discussion on every Python-
> related mailing list, newsgroup, subreddit, blog, and
> blue-faced baboon? Yeah. Can't just press the undo button
> now. Or are you talking about the way that annotations
> were added to the language in Python 3.0, released in
> 2008?

I'm talking specifically about the propagation of "type-hint
annotations" within source code in the wild. Conceivably,
Python could add a million unique annotations to the
language, but no harm is done to readability *UNTIL* the
annotations are utilized by Python source code in the wild.
My argument is that these "type-hint annotations" have not
*YET* propagated -- at least not to any critical mass -- and
therefore, we still have time to prevent this ship from
crashing on the rocks.

> If this enhancement to an already-existing feature is what
> finally makes you go and take your ranting to some other
> language, fine. Goodbye.

Chris, i know you'd be happier if i was not a member of this
community. And you've made that point clear on multiple
occasions.

> Otherwise, take it to python-list and, in concurrence with
> Steven's pledge, I will answer any questions/concerns
> raised in good faith.

What purpose, other than emotional release, will that serve?
I could achieve the same by yelling at a wall.