[Python-ideas] Password masking for getpass.getpass

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Jan 14 06:17:45 EST 2016

On 01/14/2016 11:07 AM, Muhammad Ahmed Khalid wrote:
> Regarding the issue of people looking at the user typing in the password. Unless
> the person looking is right next to the user, it doesn't really matter if they
> look at the screen, because if password masking is enabled they will only see
> the masking characters.
>
> If the person looking is right next to the user then that person can just look
> at the keyboard and the keys being pressed.

Well, I can type reasonably fast.

For Chris and anyone else who'd like to pretend not to know what I meant:  The
point is that these are *coworkers*, not *hackers*.  They have no reason to go
to great lengths to know these passwords.  But at the same time, they're not
theirs to know, and I'd like to keep them to myself, otherwise we could just
use one company-wide password for everything.

Having the password masked on the screen, where eyes will be anyway, is a good
compromise to avoid needless interruptions.

Georg