[Python-ideas] Top 10 Python modules that need a redesign Was: Geo coordinates conversion in stdlib

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 16:21:19 CET 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:54 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Where have you been when PEP 3108 was discussed?  I have not seen any
>> other list of Python modules that needed a redesign, so I cannot tell
>> what's on your top ten list.
>>

> http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2009/07/informal-poll-what-python-stdlib.html

Interesting.  I did not see this back in the day.  The top entry (urllib
and friends) makes sense and there were heavily redesigned in Python 3.  I
am surprised that distutils redesign got less support than logging and
datetime.  I suspect that this may have to do with logging and datetime
APIs not being PEP8 compliant.  Popular votes tend to exaggerate the
importance of trivial things such as the spelling of class and method names
and brush off more subtle, but important design flaws.