[Python-ideas] Migration of /usr/bin/python to python3

Bohuslav Kabrda slavek at redhat.com
Thu Mar 19 15:47:44 CET 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On Mar 13, 2015, at 09:57 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
> >Right, this most recently came up in the context of Fedora's plans to
> >transition to only having Python 3 in the base install
> >(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3_as_Default). At the
> >moment the expected consequence is that there will come a Fedora
> >version (tentatively Fedora 23) where, out of the box,
> >"/usr/bin/python" and "/usr/bin/env python" will just stop working.
> >
> >Packages that are part of the distro aren't a problem - those are all
> >being dealt with as the transition progresses, and any which
> >specifically need Python 2 will depend on it accordingly.
> >
> >The problem arises with custom user packages and scripts, and third
> >party packages and scripts.
>
> Sure, agreed so far.  But you're not going to be removing Python 2 from the
> Fedora archive right?  So any user with third party packages that require
> Python 2 could just install it and their stuff would continue to work.

Correct.

> At least that's the plan on Debian/Ubuntu.  I'd like to be at the point[*]
> where the default installs would not contain Python 2, but a simple `apt-get`
> would install it from the archives for anybody who needs it.  That seems like
> a safer option than changing the symlink.

Yes, this is precisely where we're heading with this; we won't change the symlink unless PEP 394 changes. We will also prefer Python 3 for *all* applications (assuming upstream is compatible), not only those that are on live media.
I think we'll have Python 2 in Fedora repositories as long as upstream will support it (and maybe even a bit longer).

--
Regards,
Slavek Kabrda