[Python-ideas] stdlib process GSoC 2014 ideas

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 22:40:52 CET 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM, Tim Delaney
<timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 February 2014 07:32, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/python-stdlib
>>
>> This needs to be extended and integrated into stdlib development process.
>
> Wow Anatoly. Are you finally going to sign the PSF Contributor Agreement?

This idea is for GSoC students. python-stdlib is free from the license burden
with UNLICENSE, so you better ask PSF why they don't accept it.

Offtopic, but since it is about GSoC, and there are people studying copyright
and open source, I'll explain my position just in case somebody will be able to
help with that in the future.

I don't sign CLA, because:

1. I don't want to release my code under restrictive PSF license
    https://tldrlegal.com/license/python-license-2.0
2. PSF doesn't comply with terms of Apache 2.0 license (include license)
    which is probably chosen by at least one contributor for CLA
    https://tldrlegal.com/license/apache-license-2.0-(apache-2.0)
3. I don't want to give PSF exclusive rights for all code and documentation
    to be released under any other "open source" license. PSF may be bought
    by some corporation and they will have the right to impose their own
    "open source license text" on it. (yes, I don't trust people at all).
4. If I sign, I will be less motivated to open the Python docs under CC-BY
    license with examples that can be copy-pasted without requiring PSF
    license in your project. Right now using logging examples without it is
    illegal.
5. Everything is owned by PSF is wrong. Python is a community project,
    and core code should be shared as open as possible (with credits where
    due). Public domain with optional crediting and patent grant is ideal.
    Trademarks are not affected. Nobody is forced and can do what they
    want. And current licensing uncertainty no good for collaboration.
6. I want people to have free entry for participating in open source projects,
    meaning that the patent grant and agreement to release their contribution
    under the open source license that project uses, should work by default
    without any CLAs.