[Python-ideas] improve Idle

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri May 10 19:16:06 CEST 2013

On 5/10/2013 8:52 AM, Todd V. Rovito wrote:

> On May 10, 2013, at 5:36 AM, Alexandre Boulay
> <alexandre.boulay59 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that could be a good idea to put colored  dots on idle's
>> scroll bar for each def or class created,  each got its own color,

I cannot really understand what you are proposing. The scroll bar is for
scrolling, and it has the arrow buttons and the bar itself that would
interfere with placing dots. Furthermore, scroll bars are widgets
defined by tk and as far as I know, IDLE has no control over the
detailed appearance.

>> that's not a big conceptual improvement but that could be helpfull
>> to show the structure, show what is what and which class is in
>> which class _______________________________________________

Furthermore, I do not see how dots would really show that structure.

Are you familiar with with the Code Context option on the Options menu?
Although I think it needs some polishing (to show all context, not just
the three innermost lines), it already does what you seem to want, but
with indented names rather than by nameless dots.

> Alexandre, Sounds like a great idea to me!  I recommend you open up
> an enhancement issue on bugs.python.org

If, after looking as the existing Code Context option, you still have an
idea for improvememt, please post to idle-dev first.

Todd, please don't suggest that people post half-baked, possibly
impossible to code, ideas to the tracker. The tracker already has a
thousand enhancement requests. Many are dead clutter. Others need
discussion that they will never get on the tracker. In general, I think
it is much better for code ideas to come first to this list or, for Idle
ideas, idle-dev, to see if they are new, feasible, and have sufficient
support to be applied once coded.

Terry