[Python-Dev] Proposing the deprecation of the pyvenv script

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 14:44:27 CEST 2015

On 19 September 2015 at 10:12, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at mail.de> wrote:
> The only question I have: is there a particular reason (not technical one)
> why there are many pips on my PC?

That's not an unreasonable question, but (IMO) most of the answers are
technical, or amount to "why would you think that's wrong". So
apologies, I do know this isn't a direct answer to your question.

1. There are a lot of ways in which pip's implementation assumes it's
installing modules for the Python installation that is running it.
2. We have no installation process or path management to allow you to
install a Python package *outside* of a Python installation and run it
with the user's choice of Python.
3. You've got lots of pythons on your PC (otherwise you wouldn't have
lots of pips!) so why do you think it's *not* equally reasonable to
have lots of pips?
4. The "py" launcher (on Windows) manages your multiple Pythons for
you - it can also manage pip if you don't mind using "py -m pip" to
invoke pip. You can of course alias this (wrap it in a powershell
function, bat file, shell script or whatever) as you choose.

So, to directly answer:

    Because there are technical challenges that no-one has stepped up to solve.

I would assume you're thinking of a "single pip" in the same way that
the py.exe launcher is a "single python". Assuming so, then the
"single pip" solution is "py -m pip" (leveraging py.exe's options for
picking which Python to use). I don't know if there's a Unix
equivalent to the launcher - if not, then maybe there should be?

Paul