[Python-Dev] speed.python.org (was: 2.7 is here until 2020, please don't call it a waste.)

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 17:51:26 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
>> > we could add some additional focus on performance regressions. Right now,
>> > we don't have any way of reliably and reproducibly testing Python
>> > performance.
>> >
>> > I'm very interested in speed.python.org and feel regret that the project is
>> > standing still. I have a mind to contribute something ...
>>
>> On 03.06.2015 18:59, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:49 PM, R. David Murray

>> > The way it works is dual - there is a program running the benchmarks
>> > (the runner) which is in the pypy case run by the pypy buildbot and
>> > the web side that reports stuff. So someone who has access to cpython
>> > buildbot would be useful.
>
> (I don't seem to have gotten a copy of Maciej's message, at least not
> yet.)
>
> OK, so what you are saying is that speed.python.org will run a buildbot
> slave so that when a change is committed to cPython, a speed run will be
> triggered?  Is "the runner" a normal buildbot slave, or something
> custom?  In the normal case the master controls what the slave
> runs...but regardless, you'll need to let us know how the slave
> invocation needs to be configured on the master.

Ideally nightly (benchmarks take a while). The setup for pypy looks like this:

https://bitbucket.org/pypy/buildbot/src/5fa1f1a4990f842dfbee416c4c2e2f6f75d451c4/bot2/pypybuildbot/builds.py?at=default#cl-734

so fairly easy. This already generates a json file that you can plot.
We can setup an upload automatically too.