[Python-Dev] speed.python.org (was: 2.7 is here until 2020, please don't call it a waste.)

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Thu Jun 4 16:32:00 CEST 2015

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 12:55:55 +0200, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> On 04.06.2015 04:08, Tetsuya Morimoto wrote:
> >> If someone were to volunteer to set up and run speed.python.org, I think
> > we could add some additional focus on performance regressions. Right now,
> > we don't have any way of reliably and reproducibly testing Python
> > performance.
> >
> > I'm very interested in speed.python.org and feel regret that the project is
> > standing still. I have a mind to contribute something ...
>
> On 03.06.2015 18:59, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:49 PM, R. David Murray

> >> What does "set up cpython buildbot" mean in this context?
> >
> > The way it works is dual - there is a program running the benchmarks
> > (the runner) which is in the pypy case run by the pypy buildbot and
> > the web side that reports stuff. So someone who has access to cpython
> > buildbot would be useful.

(I don't seem to have gotten a copy of Maciej's message, at least not
yet.)

OK, so what you are saying is that speed.python.org will run a buildbot
slave so that when a change is committed to cPython, a speed run will be
triggered?  Is "the runner" a normal buildbot slave, or something
custom?  In the normal case the master controls what the slave
runs...but regardless, you'll need to let us know how the slave
invocation needs to be configured on the master.

> Ok, so there's interest and we have at least a few people who are
> willing to help.
>
> Now we need someone to take the lead on this and form a small
> project group to get everything implemented. Who would be up
> to such a task ?
>
> The speed project already has a mailing list, so you could use
> that for organizing the details.

If it's a low volume list I'm willing to sign up, but regardless I'm
willing to help with the buildbot setup on the CPython side.  (As soon
as my credential-update request gets through infrastructure, at least :)

--David