[Python-Dev] Python 3.4: Cherry-picking into rc2 and final

Hrvoje Niksic hrvoje.niksic at avl.com
Wed Feb 19 13:50:51 CET 2014

On 02/19/2014 01:20 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:46:16 -0800
> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> I do think there's one legitimate concern -- someone might pull a diff from
>> Larry's branch and then accidentally push it back to the public repo, and
>> then Larry would be in trouble if he was planning to rebase that diff. (The
>> joys of DVCS -- we never had this problem in the cvs or svn days...)
>
> I don't think I understand the concern. Why is this different from any
> other mistake someone may make when pushing code?
> Also "rebase" is only really ok on private repos, as soon as something
> is published you should use "merge".

If the branch were private, pushing to it would not count as
"publishing", but would still provide the benefit of having a redundant
server-side backup of the data. Being able to rebase without fuss is a
possible legitimate reason to keep the branch private, which Guido
provided in response to Matthias's question: