[Python-Dev] pep8 reasoning

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Apr 29 03:30:24 CEST 2014

R. David Murray writes:

 > My unix fix-width terminal font handles most unicode (even a lot of
 > non-bmp stuff...though I have no idea if it is readable :).

Oh, I bet you do.  With a true fixed-width Unicode font, it's the
*Latin-character* text that's painful, if not unreadable, because the
aspect ratio needs to be close to 1.0 to handle ideographs, rather
than the 0.5 or less common with Latin fonts.

XTerm has an option to treat ideographs as double width.  That does
the trick (at least, I don't know any scripts that really really want
an aspect ratio of 0.7 or 2.0).