[Python-Dev] pep8 reasoning

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 29 01:13:07 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> I don't think anyone should write code with variable width fonts,
>>

> The problem is that fixed pitch does not work well for even a half-way
> complete unicode font and I don't know that there are any available.

> Given that PEP8 generally disallows adding spaces to make things line up,
> as in the following (a style I used  to adhere to)
>
> a     = 134543344  # big number
> bonge = 2          # short number

Is ironic that that looks like hell in my variable-width font email client?

it seems to me consistent to use the multiple-of-4 hanging indent style and
> not try to make things line up with an odd number of spaces in this one
> special case.

things aren't going to generally line up with a non-fixed width font no
matter how you slice it, so I guess if you need to use one for your code,
you're just stuck. But I suppose the "line up with the opening bracket"
style isn't a good idea in that case. All the more reason not to
standardize anymore that PEP 8 already does.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov