[Python-Dev] death to 2.7; long live 2.7

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Apr 10 04:16:50 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 18:43, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Planning-on-making-2.7-releases-'til-the-cows-come-home-ly yours,
> >
> > Past 2.7.9, will you make 2.7.10 etc, or does that violate other
> > policies?
>
> I'm not aware that two digit minor version numbers violate anything but
> some people's aesthetic senses.

In particular, mine, but if it's better than stopping at that point, I'll
be fine.

>  > What will a lack of provided installers do to Windows support? It's
> > easy enough on Linux to say "either build it from source, or let your
> > upstream package provider build it for you", but AIUI, most Windows
> > users want to get a ready-made binary.
>
> It's not that I don't think Windows installers are important, but rather
> that Martin has indicated he is (completely reasonably) not interested
> in indefinitely making 2.7 installers.

Yeah, this was mentioned a few times. I quipped to Nick that Red Hat's
biggest contribution might be to take over the Windows Installer, but
didn't bite. :-)

But there's always the PSF. We may try to find some folks we trust with
relevant expertise to volunteer their time in return for a stipend from the
PSF.

>  > Apologies if these questions were answered at the Summit. Montreal's
> > treatment of thirty-person-parties at one hour's notice may or may not
> > be considered a bug to be fixed in 2.7, but its geographic barrier to
> > Australians is definitely a feature addition. And will need to be
> > thoroughly bikeshedded on -ideas before implementation (can the time
> > machine be used to travel in relative dimensions in space?)

Only across branches of an AST though.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)