[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 17:36:47 CEST 2012

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> As a user, I guess not that much. I may be misremembering bad
> experiences with different things. We've had annoyances with
> self-signed jars, and websites. It's generally more about annoying
> "can't confirm this should be trusted, please verify" messages which
> people end up just saying "yes" to (and so ruining any value from the
> check).

Like those pesky EULAs ;-)

> But you say "I got a code signing certificate". How? When I dabbled
> with signing, the only option I could find that didn't involve paying
> and/or having a registered domain of my own was a self-signed
> certificate, which from a UI point of view seems of little use "Paul
> Moore says you should trust him. Do you? Yes/No"...

I got mine from Certum (certum.pl) - they offer (or at least did offer, last
year) free code signing certificates for Open Source developers (you have to
have "Open Source Developer" in what's being certified). See:

http://www.certum.eu/certum/cert,offer_en_open_source_cs.xml

> If signed binaries is the way we go, then we should be aware that we
> exclude people who don't have certificates from uploading to PyPI.

I don't think that any exclusion would occur. It just means that there's a
mechanism for people who are picky about such things to have a slightly larger
comfort zone.

> Maybe that's OK, but without some sort of check I don't know how many
> current developers that would exclude, let alone how many potential
> developers would be put off.

I don't think any packager need be excluded. It would be up to individual
packagers and package consumers as to whether they sign packages / stick to only
using signed packages. For almost everyone, life should go on as before.

> A Python-supported build farm, which signed code on behalf of
> developers, might alleviate this. But then we need to protect against
> malicious code being submitted to the build farm, etc.

There is IMO neither the will nor the resource to do any sort of policing.
Caveat emptor (or caveat user, rather). Let's not forget, all of this software
is without warranty of any kind.

> Fair enough. I don't object to offering the option to verify
> signatures (I think I said something like that in an earlier message).
> I do have concerns about making signed code mandatory. (Not least over
> whether it'd let me install my own unsigned code!)

Any workable mechanism would need to be optional (the user doing the installing
would be the decider as to whether to go ahead and install, with signature, or
lack thereof, in mind).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip