[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Jun 20 01:34:14 CEST 2012

On 06/19/2012 05:46 PM, Éric Araujo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We need to make a decision about the packaging module in Python 3.3.
> Please read this message and breathe deeply before replying :)

> With beta coming, a way to deal with that unfortunate situation needs to
> be found. We could (a) grant an exception to packaging to allow changes
> after beta1; (b) keep packaging as it is now under a provisional status,
> with due warnings that many things are expected to change; (c) remove
> the unstable parts and deliver a subset that works (proposed by Tarek to
> the Pyramid author on distutils-sig); (d) not release packaging as part
> of Python 3.3 (I think that was also suggested on distutils-sig last
> month).

I think it'd be very wise to choose (d) here.  We've lived so long
without a credible packaging story that waiting one (or even two) more
major release cycles isn't going to make a huge difference in the long
run but including a version of packaging now which gets fixed in a rush
would probably end up muddying the already dark waters of Python
software distribution.

- C