[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 00:54:04 CEST 2012

On 19 June 2012 22:46, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
[...]
>  This leaves (d), after long reflection, as my preferred choice, even though
> I disliked the idea at first (and I fully expect Tarek to feel the same
> way).

I agree with Nick. It's regrettable, but this is probably the wisest
course of action. Remove packaging from 3.3, create a PEP clearly
defining what packaging should be, and aim to implement for 3.4.

It seems to me that there's a lot of interest in the packaging module,
but it's fragmented and people have very different goals and
expectations. Developing a PEP will likely be a big task in itself,
but I'd hope that a well-crafted PEP will provide something the
various people with an interest could get behind and work together on,
which might help ease the developer time issue. (Assuming, of course,
that championing the PEP doesn't burn Éric out completely...)

Paul.