[Python-Dev] API refactoring tracker field for Python4

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jan 7 20:11:47 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> -1 on the "star system" for the tracker

The tracker on Google Code uses stars. We use this tracker to track
external App Engine issues. It works very well to measure how
widespread a particular issue or need is (even if we don't always fix
the highest-star issues first -- the top issues are "unfixable" like
PHP support :-).

Maybe it works because in that tracker, a star means you get emailed
when the issue is updated; this makes people think twice before
frivolously adding a star. This is not quite the same as the "nosy"
list: adding a star is less work in the UI, you don't have to think up
something meaningful to say, and no email is generated merely because
someone adds or removes a star.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)