[Python-Dev] Continuing 2.x

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Oct 29 18:58:11 CEST 2010

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:41:19 -0000
exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

> Brett is speaking for himself here (and he never claimed otherwise!).
> However, decisions about where to allow the use of the "Python"
> trademark are made by the Python Software Foundation.

The point is not to allow the use of a trademark ("EVE-Python" is
already an use of the trademark, as are "IronPython", "Cython",
"VPython", etc.), it is to respect the original project and to keep
things clear.
Even if there were no trademark, I think it would be wrong for a
separate project to adopt the same name without agreement from the
original group of contributors. I have never seen a fork which didn't
change the name of the project.

Regards

Antoine.