[Python-Dev] Continuing 2.x

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Oct 29 18:41:19 CEST 2010

On 02:51 am, brett at python.org wrote:
>2010/10/28 Kristján Valur Jónsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com>:
>>Hi all.
>>This has been a lively discussion.
>>My desire to keep 2.x alive in some sense is my own and I don't know
>>if anyone shares it but as a member of this community I think I'm
>>allowed to voice it.  So, just to clarify my particular position, let
>>me explain where all this comes from.
>[snip]
>
>And as everyone has said so far (and with which I agree), that's fine.
>As long as it is not called Python 2.8 -- EVE-Python 2.8 or some Monty
>Python reference -- then that's fine. And as pointed out by folks,
>once Hg kicks in and we have user repos you can even host it on
>hg.python.org yourself to give it some semblance of authority if you
>want.

In case anyone was discouraged by the idea that a 2.x continuation would
not be allowed to bear the name "Python" as Brett suggests here, I want
to make a clarification.

Brett is speaking for himself here (and he never claimed otherwise!).
However, decisions about where to allow the use of the "Python"
trademark are made by the Python Software Foundation.  The PSF has not
decided to reject any request by a 2.x continuation project to use the
name "Python".  Of course, this does not mean they would necessarily
allow such a use.  I just wanted to point out that they have not
categorically rejected it, as one might be tempted to infer from Brett's
message.

Jean-Paul