[Python-Dev] Stable build slaves authority

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:08:12 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 01:00, Stephen Hansen
<me+python at ixokai.io<me%2Bpython at ixokai.io>
> wrote:

> On 10/13/10 10:28 PM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> > -On [20101014 00:55], Brian Curtin (brian.curtin at gmail.com) wrote:
> >> Correct. There are a few hacky ways to get Express to use the x64 SDK,
> or so I
> >> read.
> >
> > I think Martin meant that you wouldn't need VS Express if you install the
> > Windows SDK, since it provides all the tools in the SDK to build Python.
>
> There's mixed signals here, and I'm not sure what they all mean. I have
> a Win7-64bit box that I am willing to use to run a buildslave, if its
> possible to do so.
>
> #python-dev thought that VS express was all that was needed; then here,
> it seemed to me that Martin said that you needed the full version of VS
> or perhaps a complex setup with the SDK compiler; but you seem to be
> interpreting Martin that the SDK provides everything and nothing else is
> needed.
>
> Then again on top of that, my offer may be mooted-- if Brian Curtin is
> going to host a x86_64 windows slave then I don't need to worry about
> this because its being provided otherwise.

> I'm willing to put up with the particular windows-specific difficulties
> that go with running a buildslave (especially with David Bolen's AutoIt
> scripts which may ease things): but I'm not entirely sure from these
> varied results if its even possible or needed.
>
> So, my questions are:
>  1. Is someone else (Hi, Brian) providing a 64-bit windows slave, so
> there isn't actually any need for me to go through the effort of it?

I'm planning to -- just need a little time to sit down and get the box ready
to go. I would say that one build slave is good, two is better. If you feel
up to the task, go right ahead. As one of the few Windows users around here,
I'd certainly appreciate more Windows testing.

One of my motivations in providing a build slave is execution of the newly
added os.symlink support starting in Windows Vista. Since os.symlink
requires a certain privilege, it's not tested on any of the current build
slaves. I plan to work out a way for my build slave to get these tests
executed, rather than just running them on my desktop boxes.

>  2. If not, is all that's needed is the SDK to build 64-bit Python?

Sorry for my confusion earlier - I was focused on the VS Express part,
rather than the minimum requirement to build Python (which doesn't *require*
VS at all, it's just a nice tool to build it). Supposedly the 64-bit SDK by
itself should build a 64-bit Python -- I say "supposedly" because I haven't
done this myself. I've read that only using the 32-bit SDK does this fine --
also have not done this myself.

I understand that doesn't really answer your question, but hopefully my