[Python-Dev] Stable build slaves authority

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 14 09:37:17 CEST 2010

> #python-dev thought that VS express was all that was needed; then here,
> it seemed to me that Martin said that you needed the full version of VS
> or perhaps a complex setup with the SDK compiler; but you seem to be
> interpreting Martin that the SDK provides everything and nothing else is
> needed.

I think I forgot earlier discussion on how to use the SDK. It may well
be that it can be used to build Python with no VS installed, but it's
not what I meant - I meant that I actually don't know.

>   1. Is someone else (Hi, Brian) providing a 64-bit windows slave, so
> there isn't actually any need for me to go through the effort of it?

With the Windows build slaves: they come and go. So having two of them
might be a good idea.

>   2. If not, is all that's needed is the SDK to build 64-bit Python?

I think that you will need to find out on your own. And, even if it's
possible, the next question is whether what the buildbot scripts do
actually works without VS (but we could adjust them).

> Basically, it comes down to: 'it' being a 64-bit windows slave, is it
> actually needed from me (i.e., is a more apt expert not providing it),
> and can anyone actually say what the requirements are for making it
> happen?

As for "needed", well, we a are all volunteers. This project will
certainly survive without a 64-bit Windows build slave (it did
so in the last months).

As for saying what the requirements are: probably nobody can.

> I have computing resources, cycles, and time that's free to offer up:
> but the differing responses here makes me unsure if I'm being useful or
> not in trying here :)

Well, the differing responses really demonstrate that it's also
expertise that is lacking throughout. If you are motivated, please
try to find out how to build Python on AMD64 with free-as-in-beer
Microsoft tools, and provide a patch to PCbuild/readme.txt.

Having such a setup then tested regularly is certainly worthwhile.

Regards,
Martin