[Python-Dev] What to do with languishing patches?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jul 21 07:46:03 CEST 2010

R. David Murray writes:

 > During the most recent discussion I can remember, I thought I remembered
 > Stephen Trumble saying that they'd tried that in xemacs and it really
 > hadn't worked very well.  Since he now says he thinks it's a good idea
 > (or more likely I misremembered what he said the first time), it sounds
 > like we should consider it again.

No, you didn't misremember.  I changed my mind.  Now I know more about
*why* it didn't appeal to me at the time: the UI for links and
multilinks with large numbers of selectable value, and we had a poor
configuration of nosy lists, so people weren't getting on the right
issues.  So, I don't recommend it with the stock Roundup UI if there
are going to be more modules than would fit on a page (50), and the UI
is somewhat annoying for as few as 20 checkboxes.

Unfortunately, I can't offer a patch, but the basic things that need
to be done are (1) make the "multilink input" window multicolumn (you
could get 100 module names to fit in the window, but 50 should be
plenty for this purpose), and (2) bump the limit on entries per page
so they all fit on one page.

Also, it would be nice if there were a UI to make oneself "auto-nosy"
on certain modules.