[Python-Dev] PEP 376 and PEP 302 - allowing import hooks to provide distribution metadata

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 11:32:28 CEST 2009

2009/7/6 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/6 Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com>:
>> I'm -1 on changing the name. For better or worse setuptools is the elephant
>> in the room w.r.t. package management and it would IMHO be better to stay
>> compatible (even if the stdlib only implements a subset of
>> setuptools/pkg_resources)
>>

> I'd rather see the elephant evolves.
>
> I don't see why we should bend a standard we want to introduce in the stdlib,
> for a third-party package that is able to evolve to stick to a new standard
> without any problem.

I agree with this.

The big problem is that setuptools development seems to have
essentially stagnated, and while that shouldn't be something we care
about, it does need to be considered. Although my instinct is to fight
against "do it our way because we won't change to do it your way"
arguments, I have to ask whether the (purely internal) name of the
metadata directory is really worth fighting over.

I'm +0 on changing the name, as long as it's the *only* "do it this
way because setuptools isn't going to change" issue. If more such
issues come up, I'll become +1 on a clean break, to avoid endless such
arguments and restrictions.

Paul.