[Python-Dev] 3.0.1 possibilities

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Dec 8 11:53:09 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I wasn't (primarily) talking about fixing this particular issue.
> Time needs to be made available also for the upcoming 2.4.6 and 2.5.3
> releases (which should, IMO, get priority over a 3.0 bugfix release
> at this point)

I've no opinion on the priority of the releases. Since you are
responsible for the 2.4 and 2.5 releases as well as the Windows
binaries, it's your choice. For the future we should find somebody to
assist you with the Windows installers in order to release some pressure
from you.

> I think 3.0.1 should also address other serious bugs in 3.0, such
> as
> - various IDLE bugs with non-ASCII characters (2827, 4008, 4323, 4410)
> - various ways to crash Python through the buffer protocol
>   (4583, 4509; also 4580)

My list wasn't complete. I'm +1 for your additions.

> IIUC, you want the bugfix version number to be sync'ed. I don't
> think that is a useful thing to have.

Yeah. Barry also said it's a neat thing to have - but just a neat thing.

> I don't recall such policy, and I can't see anything wrong with
> including performance fixes in a bug fix release. Maybe you were
> confusing this with whether performance fixes can be considered
> release-critical (which they shouldn't, IMO)?

Maybe I'm a confused person? :]

Christian