[Python-Dev] 3.0.1 possibilities

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Dec 8 05:17:43 CET 2008

>> I think it is still timely when fixed in January or February.
>> In fact, releasing it still in December might not be possible,
>> due to the limited time available.
>
> The cmp() / PyObject_Compare() removal patch is almost done.

I wasn't (primarily) talking about fixing this particular issue.
Time needs to be made available also for the upcoming 2.4.6 and 2.5.3
releases (which should, IMO, get priority over a 3.0 bugfix release
at this point)

> With some
> help I can finish it until Tuesday evening. We can have another release
> by Monday Dec 15th. Python 3.0.0 has some defects that should be fixed
> before people are spending their Xmas holidays with 3.0. The defects
> include
>
> * cmp(), PyObject_Compare() and frieds
> * global/nonlocal shortcuts (global x = 0) aren't working
> * unnecessary slowdown of read() due slow buffer resizing.

I think 3.0.1 should also address other serious bugs in 3.0, such
as
- various IDLE bugs with non-ASCII characters (2827, 4008, 4323, 4410)
- various ways to crash Python through the buffer protocol
  (4583, 4509; also 4580)

> An early 3.0.1 release makes it possible to sync 2.6 and 3.0 relases
> again.

IIUC, you want the bugfix version number to be sync'ed. I don't
think that is a useful thing to have.

> If Guido and Barry are fine with a lax policy on performance fixes we
> can integrate more tweaks. I believe performances patches were
> considered as features in the past. For this reason they weren't allowed
> for minor releases. Mark's work on long integer optimizations and json
> speedup are good candidates.

I don't recall such policy, and I can't see anything wrong with
including performance fixes in a bug fix release. Maybe you were
confusing this with whether performance fixes can be considered
release-critical (which they shouldn't, IMO)?

Regards,
Martin