[Python-Dev] Need for Speed Sprint status

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun May 28 00:03:24 CEST 2006

"Steve Holden" <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
news:4478201C.2070903 at holdenweb.com...
>> It looks like there were a lot of additions to the string test suite,
>> that's great.  I'm not sure if the other areas touched got similar
>> boosts to their tests.  It would be good to upgrade all tests to
>> verify corner cases of the implementation.  These tests should also be
>> documented that they are to test the implementation rather than the
>> language spec.  We don't want to write obscure tests that can't pass
>> in other impls like Jython, IronPython, or PyPy.
>>
> Yes, we could really do with implementation-specific tests for this
> stuff.

Just a reminder, in mid-April, there was a short thread on Python-3000 (to
be continued here) entitled Separating out CPython and core Python tests,

I suggested separate files in separate directories.  Brett C. suggested, I
believe, decorators to mark tests within a file.  Guido suggested maybe
both, as appropriate.  The plan was to defer marking or movement of
existing test until 2.6, but lets clearly comment any new
implementation-specific tests as such.

Terry Jan Reedy