[Python-Dev] Need for Speed Sprint status

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat May 27 11:47:08 CEST 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> First off, good work to everyone involved.  You did a tremendous job.
> I just hope to hell you're done, because I can't keep up! :-)

Not quite done yet, but I will be encouraging the team to start wrapping
up in time to draw a line under everything that *isn't* going to
continue by 17:00 GMT today, when we all turn into pumpkins.

> It would help me enormously if someone could summarize the status and
> everything that went on.  These are the things that would help me the
> most.
>
>  * What are the speed diffs before/after the sprint
>  * What was modified (summary)
>  * What is left to do
>     - doc
>     - tests
>     - code
>  * Which branches are still planning to remain active
>  * Lessons learned, how we can improve for the next time
>  * Suggestions for further areas to look into improving

One of today's most important missions for me is to make sure that the
results of the sprint are adequately documented, including pointers to
further work that might yield speedups.

> It looks like there were a lot of additions to the string test suite,
> that's great.  I'm not sure if the other areas touched got similar
> boosts to their tests.  It would be good to upgrade all tests to
> verify corner cases of the implementation.  These tests should also be
> documented that they are to test the implementation rather than the
> language spec.  We don't want to write obscure tests that can't pass
> in other impls like Jython, IronPython, or PyPy.

Yes, we could really do with implementation-specific tests for this stuff.

> I will turn my amd64 box back on tomorrow and will also run Python
> through valgrind and pychecker when I get a chance.  There are a
> couple of new Coverity complaints that need to be addressed.

That'll be great. Again, let me say we've had terrific support from many
other developers. I hope the whole community benefits from this sprint.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com