[Python-Dev] Proposal to eliminate PySet_Fini

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jun 29 22:01:38 CEST 2006

Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> I feel that set is a more basic object than dict

I don't feel that way; dict is more basic, set is just a special case of
dict for performance reasons. Also, dict is used to define and implement
the language itself, set is "just" a predefined type.

> but dictobject module is never finalized (is this a bug or a feature?)

I guess it's a feature. What should PyDict_Fini do? Release the dummy
object? That can't work, and won't help.

> For example, I can use dict API in atexit callbacks, but not set API.

Right. It is by design that you can use the dict API everywhere, since
dict is part of the language itself. set wasn't designed with such a
goal (the same is true for many other types, I would guess).

Regards,
Martin