[Python-Dev] Proposal to eliminate PySet_Fini

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 18:47:30 CEST 2006

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik <at> pythonware.com> writes:

> given that CPython has about a dozen Fini functions, what exactly is it
> that makes PySet_Fini so problematic ?

I have not been bitten by the other _Fini yet. ;-)

I was bitten by PySet_Fini when I tried to replace the "interned" dict with a
set. Since setobject is finalized before stringobject, interpretor crashed when
cleaning "interned".

I feel that set is a more basic object than dict, but dictobject module is never
finalized (is this a bug or a feature?), so dict api functions are always safe.
For example, I can use dict API in atexit callbacks, but not set API.