[Python-Dev] windows 2.5 build: use OpenSSL for hashlib [bug 1535502]

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 8 08:26:08 CEST 2006

Gregory P. Smith schrieb:
> So is it worth my time doing this in a hurry for 2.5 or do other
> people really just not care if python for windows uses a slow OpenSSL?

As I said: I would accept patches. If you arrange for a separate
_hashlib.pyd file, most of my concerns would go away. So please
do produce a patch, so we have something to review.

> Widely deployed popular applications use python for both large scale
> hashing and ssl communications.

Yet, nobody has worried about performance in all these years to notice
that the assembler code isn't being used. So it can't be that bad.
For SSL specifically, the usage of hashing is minimal, as the actual
communication uses symmetric encryption.

Regards,
Martin