[Python-Dev] windows 2.5 build: use OpenSSL for hashlib [bug 1535502]

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Tue Aug 8 02:36:23 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 02:23:02AM +0200, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
> Gregory P. Smith schrieb:
> > Sigh.  Half the reason I did the hashlib work was to get much faster
> > optimized versions of the hash algorithms into python.  I'll be
> > disappointed if that doesn't happen.
>
> Sad as it sounds, it appears you just did half of the work, then
> (omitting the Windows build process).

I had no access to a windows build environment at the time (as many
python developers do not).  Apparently I neglected to bribe someone
who did to do it after I checked the module in. ;)

So is it worth my time doing this in a hurry for 2.5 or do other
people really just not care if python for windows uses a slow OpenSSL?

Widely deployed popular applications use python for both large scale
hashing and ssl communications.

If no, can this go in 2.5.1?  Its not an API change.

-g