[Python-Dev] Proper place to put extra args for building

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 25 09:17:34 CEST 2005

Brett C. wrote:
> OK, EXTRA_CFLAGS support has been checked into Makefile.pre.in and
> distutils.sysconfig .  Martin, please double-check I tweaked sysconfig the way
> you wanted.

It is the way I wanted it, but it doesn't work. Just try and use it for
some extension modules to see for yourself, I tried with a harmless GCC
option (-fgcse).

The problem is that distutils only looks at the Makefile, not at the
environment variables. So I changed parse_makefile to do what make does:
fall back to the environment when no makefile variable is set. This was
still not sufficient, since distutils never looks at CFLAGS. So I
changed setup.py and sysconfig.py to fetch CFLAGS, and not bother with
BASECFLAGS and EXTRA_CFLAGS.

setup.py 1.218
NEWS 1.1289
sysconfig.py 1.65