[Python-Dev] Re: GadflyDA in core? Or as add-on-product?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:40:45 -0500

> On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 12:26  PM, Stuart Bishop wrote:
>
> > cc:'d to Aaron for the horses mouth opinion if the email address I have
> > is still valid.
>
> After remembering where Aaron now works, and emailing the following to
> his *correct* address, I got a 'Yes, no problem'.
>
> msg_to_aaron = """
> I don't know if you saw this thread or not on Python-dev:
> 	http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032295.html
>
> Looks like Gadfly can go into the core Python distribution. One of the
> outstanding issues is that of the licence, which concerned Guido:
> 	http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032305.html
>
> Would you be interested in allowing the PSF to distribute Gadfly under
> its own licence to simplify things?
> """
>
> So it looks like everything is fine, at least after we can extricate
> the keyboard Anthony managed to embed in his forehead. Speaking of
> which, should we proceed assuming nothing will be included until we
> have a a replacement for kjbuckets? If this isn't a requirement and
> we can proceed with the existing C code (with fallback to pure
> python), then we might be able to get this into 2.3 alpha 2.
> Otherwise I can give in to my inherent laziness and assume 2.3.1 or
> 2.4.
>
> Do I need a PEP, given that adding this as a module seems generally
> accepted both in python-dev and the DB SIG?

No PEP is needed, but I'd like to understand more of the mechanics of
adding this to the distribution.  I've got no problem with adding more
Python code to the standard library, but (as Brett mentioned) I'd like
to keep the kjbuckets C code out unless we have a volunteer to both
clean it up and maintain it.

Also, I just looked at the copy of gadfly that's part of Zope, and it
is about 15,000 lines!  (And that's only Python code -- no C code
included, nor docs.)  Do we really need all that?  Who is going to
maintain it?  Is somebody going to convert the gadfly docs (assuming
they exist) into LaTeX?  Or is it just going to be an undocumented
pile of code that only people who happen to already know how to use it
can really use?