[Python-Dev] "What's New" in docs

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Sat Dec 13 12:27:30 EST 2003

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> Would anyone see any advantage to having the "What's New" section like:
>
> What's New in...
>     Python 2.3
>         1 PEP 218: A Standard Set Datatype
>     Python 2.2
>         1 PEP 234: Iterators
> .
> .
> .

I do. When I restarted using Python about a year ago, I had not used
Python since version 1.6. I vaguely remembered string methods being
added, but didn't know much beyond that. Rather than re-reading the
tutorial, the library and the language reference, I read the 'whatsnew'
documentation files for 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, and the just-released alpha-1 of
2.3. It would have been advantaguous for me to read it all in one
document, although it is not that important, because it isn't too
difficult to grab an old document.

> I use different versions of Python for different projects (in particular, 2.1 and 2.3) and I think this would be a useful quick reference.

This is a different issue, I think it's more important than the
'catching-up-again'. I support the idea.

yours,
Gerrit Holl.

--
37. If any one buy the field, garden, and house of a chieftain, man, or
one subject to quit-rent, his contract tablet of sale shall be broken