[Python-Dev] Optimizing variable access

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 24 May 2002 21:25:26 -0400

[Ka-Ping Yee, on various vrbl-access speedup schemes]
> The last thing i remember from this discussion was spending a lot
> of time trying to understand everyone's implementation schemes and
> drawing little pictures (http://web.lfw.org/python/globals.html)
> to describe them.
>
> I never heard anything back about them,

Do you read Python-Dev?  Lots of people commented appreciatively on them.

> and the discussion on this topic went suddenly silent after that.  Was
> there a correlation (i hope not) or did everyone just get busy with
> other things?

The Python conference happened then, and that took everyone (including you)
away for a week.  Perhaps during the conference people realized that
implementing one of these things would actually require work.

> I was hoping that the figures would help us compare and evaluate the
> various schemes.

I'm not sure the figures can measure runtime <wink>, but they certainly
helped people *understand* the proposals.