[Python-Dev] Optimizing variable access

Ka-Ping Yee ping@zesty.ca
Fri, 24 May 2002 17:24:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> So let's discuss features for 2.3.  PEP 283 mentions these:
>
> >     PEP 266  Optimizing Global Variable/Attribute Access  Montanaro
> >     PEP 267  Optimized Access to Module Namespaces        Hylton
> >     PEP 280  Optimizing access to globals                 van Rossum
>
> (These are basically three friendly competing proposals.)

The last thing i remember from this discussion was spending a lot
of time trying to understand everyone's implementation schemes and
drawing little pictures (http://web.lfw.org/python/globals.html)
to describe them.

I never heard anything back about them, and the discussion on this
topic went suddenly silent after that.  Was there a correlation
(i hope not) or did everyone just get busy with other things?  I was
hoping that the figures would help us compare and evaluate the
various schemes.

-- ?!ng