Large file system support in 2.1.2 (was Re: [Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...)

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 02:24:20 -0500

    >> 2) Any time you overload a make variable that has existing
    >> semantics, you have to worry about losing the original value.
    >> Personally, I think it's easier to get CC overloading right
    >> than get OPT or CFLAGS overloading (and easier than getting
    >> them both right).  But maybe that's just me.

    MvL> Ok. For Solaris and Linux, the instruction about setting CC
    MvL> is about right, so I'm no longer objecting to changing the
    MvL> documentation in that direction. It is just that if you
    MvL> specify --without-gcc, or are on SGI or BSD/OS, that your
    MvL> environment setting of CC will be ignored.

Good point.  This should definitely be mentioned in the docs.

then-again-future-google-searches-are-sure-to-turn-up-this-entire-painful
    -thread-ly y'rs,
-Barry