[Python-Dev] Building on Windows (was Re: A "new" kind of leak)

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:29:49 -0400

[Guido]
> Tim has both Win2K vs. Win98, and it makes little difference; he's got
> the same environment on both.  I've seen him work.

The huge differences here between 2K and 98 are system stability and native
shell power.  Both are much better on 2K.

> IMO, the debugger (VC++) and editor (not VC) he uses are much better
> than anything I've seen on Unix --

Mine too, and I used to be an Emacs wizard.  I'm afraid if I ever went back
to Unix, I'd spend the first three months adding a massive subsystem to
Emacs to get back all the C smarts Source Insight has <0.2 wink -- but I
really do fear that!>.

> but the tools he has to use to interact with CVS are
> much worse.
>
> (He'll probably deny this, so I'll stop. :-)

Nope, I fully agree on all counts, except that Win98 is substantially
feebler (than W2K) in two ways that count.  There are better CVS tools for
Windows, but for some reason I never gave up my command-line junkie nature,
despite landing on a system with a spectacularly lame shell.  "Doing
something about that" has been on my todo list since 1994 <0.5 wink>.